Act 148 empowers EACs to:
- Identify environmental issues and recommend plans and programs to the appropriate municipal agencies for the promotion and conservation of natural resources and for the protection and improvement of the quality of the environment within its territorial limits.
- Make recommendations for the use of open land areas.
- Promote a community environmental program.
- Keep an index of all open space, publicly or privately owned, including flood prone areas, swamps and other unique natural areas, for the purpose of obtaining information on the proper use of those areas.
- Advise the appropriate local government agencies, including the planning commission and recreation and park board and the elected governing body, on the acquisition of property, both real and personal.
The enabling legislation requires each council to keep records of meetings and activities and to issue an annual report, which should be distributed with the municipality’s annual report or otherwise made available to the public.